Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Blog Post #5: PLN’s What Are They?



Part 1:

PLNs (Personal Learning Networks) are a whole new concept to me and I have found them to be a rather neat creation. PLN’s are webpages you create and personalize to organize all of your frequently visited websites and RSS feeds. PLN’s give you easy access to the information you are looking for, such as research on a certain topic. Teachers can use them to communicate with both colleagues and students to improve their teaching quality. While I’m sure there are more out there, Netvibes and Symbaloo are two of the most used websites to create PLN’s. I recommend creating a PLN through Netvibes because it is very easy to use and has step by step directions.

I created my first PLN using Netvibes and it’s already coming in handy. I started by adding teachers on Pinterest, because a there are some incredible projects and ideas on there. Facebook is another good source for networking and idea generation, but it has a lot more spam and can get distracting. In short, I think my PLN is going to be a great way for me to network, generate new ideas for the classroom and stay informed with changes in the teaching community.

Source: http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/rebeccamuller/502/conceptmap.html






4 comments:

  1. Consider including teachers' blogs as a part of your PLN and looking beyond social media.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there are some pretty neat ideas on Pinterest for teachers to use. Ways of communication are always changing and evolving, so our PLN's keep growing as a result. Very good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write very detailed write ups about the other PLNs you use. I will have to check some of those out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave me a really good idea. I practically live on Pinterest on my down time because it has so many great ideas. What a wonderful way to add some people to you network. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete