Friday, June 19, 2015

C4T#2


Part 1:

In Peoplegogy, Dr. Will interviews Connie Hamilton, Ed. S. about standard based learning. She explains that standard based learning focuses on the standard rather than the topic. Dr. Will asks her many questions so viewers can get an insight on what standard based learning is. Mrs. Hamilton explains standard based doesn’t limit creativity but rather encourages it.

Here is my comment:  

Hello Dr. Will,

        I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama and have been assigned to read your blog. I really enjoyed watching Standard Based Learning with Connie Hamilton, Ed. S. and found it was filled with information I was not aware of. To your question regarding what the mastery of the standard really say about the students’ learning: I have heard students say many times that the letter grade does not represent what they really know but didn’t understand what they meant until now. I like how Mrs. Hamilton pointed out that standard base learning makes students aware of their weaknesses and strengths, giving them the opportunity to focus on what they don’t understand. I am excited to learn more from your blog! 

Source: http://cft.vanderbilt.edu/2012/09/grading-workshop/


Part 2:

 
In The Dr. Will Show- The 411 ISTE Newbies with Tammy Neil and Kimberly Wright, they discuss helpful tips and what to expect when attending ISTE. ISTE is a non-profit organization in educational technology. Some of the tips Ms. Wright said included knowing what you want to attend, don’t bring many things with you because you may be walking out with many bags, and pick comfortable shoes. Dr. Will made a very interesting comment, “you never go to a conference for how to’s,” but rather to interact with other people and learn from each other.

Here is my comment:

I did not know what ISTE was and had to look it up. I am currently entering the courses for my major in education. How many times a year is ISTE held and can anyone go (as in does the principal choose who gets to attend)? The tips and information were very helpful and informative, especially the shoes suggestion!

Source: http://www.iste.org/

1 comment: